By Blake McQuilkin

Victoria Korotchenko, the child of Russian immigrants, is combining her knowledge of Russian with a passion for teaching. As a peer tutor at the Campus Learning Assistance Services (CLAS), the third-year UC Santa Barbara student helps teach anything related to the Russian language to fellow students - from the alphabet to grammar to speaking, or writing.

Korotchenko, 20, is currently double majoring in English and History as well as pursuing a Slavic Studies minor. Recently she sat down for an interview about her background in the Russian language and her work with CLAS and described how her two academic paths figure into her future plans.

Victoria Korotchenko, a third-year UC Santa Barbara student double-majoring in English and History, teaches Russian as a peer tutor at the Campus Learning Assistance Services (CLAS).

Q: Where did you first learn Russian?

A: I grew up in a Russian family. My parents are from the [former] Soviet Union. They both immigrated from Kazakhstan after the Soviet Union fell apart [in 1990]. I kind of grew up with them speaking only Russian to me. Same with my grandparents. I went to a Russian church until early high school. I was basically surrounded by it my entire life.

Q: Do you have any connections to Russian culture and heritage?

A: I went to a Russian school when I was little that was run out of my church and run out of the local community I grew up in, in the suburbs of Sacramento. It’s a big immigrant Russian community. We lived with some people who spoke Russian. Our neighbors were Russian, my brother would go out and he would always speak Russian with his buddies. I couldn’t escape it really.

Q: What do you do at CLAS, the campus student-to-student tutoring center?

A: As a CLAS Russian tutor, I provide tutoring for everyone who is taking any class of Russian or anyone who drops in. It’s drop-in hours, from Russian 1 to Russian 101.

Q: Why did you join CLAS to teach Russian?

A: I was acquainted with Anika Temple, who was the Russian tutor before me. I had gotten to know her there as I went to talk to her, and II went “Hey, this job is really cool.” I love teaching. That’s what I’m leaning towards becoming in the future; I want to be a teacher or professor. I feel like that’s what my calling is.

Q: Why do you teach?

A: I love helping people. It gives me so much joy when I see people finally put the pieces together around Russian. And they’re like, “Oh, that’s what that means, that’s what that letter sounds like.” Seeing it finally click. It’s the same reason I worked in kindergartens and elementary schools. I’ve worked in so many different schools. Seeing people finally make the connection and seeing people finally understand — I love that.

Student peer Victoria Korotchenko hosts CLAS Russian tutoring sessions Monday through Friday at the UCSB Student Resource Building.

Q: What impact do you think you have made in the education and lives of the people you teach?

A: I’ve seen people come in absolutely clueless and stressed out. A lot of people say, “I’m not getting it, I’m freaking out, I don’t know what’s going on anymore and I already feel so behind.” After the end of the session, you feel like you not only have a bond with a student but they also feel comfortable talking to me about problems. I can help them out and we have this rapport going. Having them leave understanding and feeling a little more assured of not only their knowledge but of what they’re able to do. That, I feel, is the impact I’ve made. 

Blake McQuilkin is a third-year UC Santa Barbara student majoring in Communication and minoring in Professional Writing.